Saturday, July 29, 2017

Store-Bought Rotisserie Chicken

I haven't bought a grocery store rotisserie chicken in about 7 years. We stopped eating them because we prefer to raise our own meat and I wasn't sure if the brine/marinade would spike Samuel's blood sugar.

Today the kids and I were out all day so I decided I would give it a try. I never realized how country my kids are and how little processed/ready-made food they've been exposed to. This was an actual conversation today:

Me: I need to get one last thing... a chicken for dinner.
Samuel: They sell chickens here?!?
Me: Sure.
Samuel: Why are we buying one?
Me: It will be past dinnertime when we get home so I want a fast meal.
Samuel: Well, how will we have time to butcher and cook it then?
Me: Huh???
Samuel: Uhhh... is the chicken alive?

I busted out laughing and took them to the rotisserie chicken counter where they stood in amazement that you could buy a chicken to take home cooked by someone else!
I'm not sure if I should be proud or concerned.

On a good note, 3 hours postprandial his BG is 81.

UPDATE
The chicken was fine all night...no odd spikes. No CGM alerts all night so he stayed within a 68 to 105-115 range all night.




No comments:

Post a Comment