Saturday, May 12, 2018

New and Improved - Stay-Soft Lower Carb Ice Cream

I've tweaked my ice cream recipe to reduce the amount of heavy cream and eliminate the half and half - both have a lot of calories and excess fat, and half and half can spike some T1's.

I replaced the half and half with almond milk, but it has a tendency to freeze rock hard and have more of an ice milk consistency. A secret ingredient...ok, not really secret, but very important, allows it to get super thick and creamy, but stay scoopable! This is such a TINY amount of vodka for the amount of ice cream it makes, I have no concerns about feeding this to the kids once per week (at the most).

I play around a lot with flavor add-in’s. This version used almond extract and about 1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg. It was SOOOOO good!!!

Basic vanilla recipe is posted, but the sky's the limit on varieties!




No comments:

Post a Comment