Monday, November 12, 2018

Learning Moment Lunch

It's really important to us that Samuel learns why we manage his diabetes the way we do.  

Yesterday my husband and daughter went hiking so we decided to go out for lunch. Sunday is "dessert" day so I explained we'd go out for lunch, run some errands, and then go home for our dessert. He was totally happy with this plan.

We talked about what he'd get before we got there so I could dose his insulin right away. He chose a huge 3-egg omelet with bacon, sausage, ham, American cheese, no onions (no toast or hash browns that come with it either). 

I let him get a Diet Coke and then handed him the Diastix and reminded him to check his soda.  All was good.

While we waited I explained that this meal at home would just need Regular insulin because its all protein, but the meat at the restaurant probably had sugar in it, so I gave a mix of Novolog and Regular. He seemed to understand my explanation.

He finished every bite smiling the whole meal.

We had a fun, filling, nutritious lunch out, got some diabetes learning in and then had a delicious low carb cupcake when we got home.  This is our version of "kids first; diabetes second".




No comments:

Post a Comment