Saturday, January 19, 2019

Best. Day. Ever.

We have a lot of really great days.  In fairness, we also have some not so great days, but the good outweigh the bad.  And our "bad" is nothing compared to when we started our journey years ago.  Yesterday we had such an extraordinary day, I had to dig through records to see if any diabetes day had topped this one... and I can't find one. 

I forgot to snap a CGM pic, but it aligned with our log below... average BG of 79mg/dL with an SD of 4 for the day.

There wasn't anything particularly special about this day.  Normal foods, normal activity, normal insulin doses.  Everything just happened to align for a perfect day.  I am a big proponent of logging our day (chart below). It helps me identify trends, look for issues, and make tiny adjustments the next day (based on what happened yesterday or the past few days).

At it's most basic, we rate our blood sugar (BG) control based on 2 things:

  • Average BG - The average BG for a child (pre-puberty) is in the 70's.  My non-diabetic daughter's average BG is 79. (A non-diabetic teen/adult is in the 80's.)

  • Standard Deviation (SD) - SD is a statistic that shows how tightly various numbers are clustered around a mean in a set of data.  In our case, it's how tightly controlled your blood sugar range is.  For example: BG of 60 - 250 is a large SD and not tightly controlled.  BG of 60 - 110 is a much tighter range.  A healthy, non-diabetic's SD is roughly 5-12.  For a diabetic, SD of <20 is considered exceptional. I am happy with 25 or less for now.  As Samuel gets older and learns how he feels when his blood sugar is low or high, I hope this will get tighter.  Our goal is to mimic a non-diabetic's SD as best we can.
When I looked at my records, I can find plenty of days were his average BG is in the 70-80 range, but couldn't find a day that had as tight SD as yesterday.  Being low carb and using the insulin management routine we have is a huge part of our success.  Do I wish I could figure out a magic formula to make everyday this perfect?  You bet your sweet bippy I do, but in the meantime, I'll soak in days like this all I can.


Huge shout out to Dr. Richard K. Bernstein and his book Diabetes Solution that taught us how to achieve non-diabetic blood sugar for our kiddo.  We will forever be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment