Monday, January 21, 2019

Low Carb Spaghetti Noodles!... Sort Of

In all fairness, my kids don't know what pasta tastes like.  But they've seen spaghetti and think it looks good.  Wheat is a non-negotiable for us, so when I started seeing these veggie noodles, I figured I'd give them a try.  These are 4 total carbs, 2 net carbs per serving.  About 4 servings per box.


Disclaimer:  if you are a pasta/noodle connoisseur, you will probably have an issue with these.  They are a veggie - Hearts of Palm to be exact, that are in spaghetti shape.  Alone, they have a veggie taste and even smell veggie-like.  But cook them a bit and serve with meat sauce or a cream sauce and the noodles fade to the background.  However, the texture is definitely more fiberous than pasta.  Texture aside, I was pretty surprised.

A package is 9oz, but it's wet, so I used that to feed our family of 4 and it was PLENTY.  Very filling stuff.  So we had our spaghetti with meat sauce, green beans, and sauteed artichoke hearts, peppers and capers (the kids didn't love this last edition, but hey, I tried 😉).


The downsides to these noodles are...

1) the cost... $36 for a box of 6 on Amazon, so these will be used sparingly.

2) it seemed everyone was, uh, how shall I say, a bit gassy the rest of the day. No discomfort or pain though. It could be the high fiber or a coincidence... we shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment