Sunday, February 3, 2019

Our Journey in a Snapshot

One of the things I'm asked most often by parents of newly diagnosed T1 diabetic kids is what our journey looks like.  I break our journey into 3 phases (red, yellow, green), which I've outlined on this 7 year long graph of Samuel's A1c history.

Each phase was an important stepping stone to the next.  I wish we hadn't gotten stuck in the middle (yellow) phase for so long, but at the time we were in our Low Carb journey completely on our own (no online support/groups), but I don't regret the phase.  It was an important way for us to learn.  I have to see WHY things works - either for the good and the bad.

Part of the reason I feel like we have such good control now isn't because I read a book [Diabetes Solution] and it told me what to do (although that WOULD work if that is how you learn!).  Our control is because we know what NOT to do because we tried doing "our" version of Low Carb.  After about 2 years of not getting the results we wanted, we re-read Diabetes Solution and binge watched Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes University videos on YouTube.  We buckled down and made massive changes to follow the book/videos.  That is result you see in the consistency in the 3rd and final (green) phase of the graph below.


No super mom/dad powers.  No rocket science. No quantum physics degrees.  Just a mom and dad that took a while to realize the book they read was spot on and decided to follow it with only a few exceptions that we don't feel are "core" deviances. ❤️

3 comments:

  1. When a picture is worth a thousand words... bravo Samuel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MUCHAS FELICIDADES.
    POR LA VALENTÍA DE BUSCAR Y VIVIR CON DIABETES DE MANERA SALUDABLE.
    GRACIAS POR COMPARTIR Y POR MOTIVAR A OTROS A HACERLO.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy you found Dr. B's book "Diabetes Solution" so quickly. It took me 26 years until I discovered him and his book; you can avoid all the complications I've endured by following this lifestyle. Only 9 months in and my HbA1c is 5.6 (and my doctor laughed at me when I told him my goal was 5.5).

    ReplyDelete