Saturday, October 5, 2019

When In Doubt.... Retest!

I have one smart kiddo and glad I trusted his instincts.

Around 3:30 his CGM said 72 mg/dL, but dropping a little. I checked his blood sugar for a snack and his reading was...gasp... 26 mg/dL.  We looked at each other in shock for a second and I grabbed the liquid glucose post-haste.  He stopped me and said "no Mommy, I'm sure it's wrong. I feel perfect. I'm going to wash my hands and recheck!".

A lot of thoughts went through my head...

1) did I screw up his lunch shot that badly...is Regular peaking hard?
2) what will washing his hands do for a low??? 🤔
3) I hope he doesn't pass out while washing his hands!

He came back perfectly calm, rechecked, and he was 78 mg/dL.

WHEW! Holy moly!  Talk about getting a Mama's heart rate going!  🥴

But this begs the question... what can cause a false low THAT far off?  Just a bad strip?  I'm not sure, but I sure am glad I trusted him and retested.


No comments:

Post a Comment