Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Instant Pot Pulled Pork

So, I'm not the most adept Instant Pot user, but was forced into it this past Sunday. I planned to have pulled pork and had my roast all ready to go for the Crock-Pot, but slept late and my Crock-Pot window had passed. My husband pointed to the Instant Pot sitting proudly on the counter and said "you could use that thing".

Fine, fine.... I'll try it!

And you know what?  This pulled pork was every bit as good as it would have been sitting in the Crock-Pot for 10 hours in less than half the time!  I'm STILL amazed!  I'm sure there are recipes online, but I didn't have time for any of that shenanigans Sunday morning (😂) so here's what I did.

I had a huge bone-in butt roast (nearly 8 lbs) so I cut it up into about 8 chunks. I seasoned all the pieces really well with sugar-free BBQ seasoning.

Then add little oil your IP and pre-heat on the Saute setting.  Brown all your pieces (I did in 3 batches).


Then add a splash of stock (I used beef, but pork or chicken would work) to the IP and use a wooden spoon to scrape all the yummy bits from the bottom of the pot (this goodness is called "fond"). Then add about 2 cups more stock.  Add about 1 tsp each liquid smoke and Worcestershire sauce (both should be sugar-free). Add your pork staggering to leave air pockets...


Make sure your vent is sealed. Then cook for 90 minutes on Manual. (If your roast is smaller, you probably could do less time.) When it was done I let it naturally release pressure for about 15 minutes. Then I cooked on the Slower Cooker High setting for 1 1/2 hours.


After this ~3 hours of cooking it was fall apart tender. Seriously as tender as 10 hours in a Crock-Pot!

Just use 2 forks to shred and top with your favorite sugar-free BBQ sauce. Our favorites are Walden Farms and G. Hughs.


I served with mashed cauliflower and roasted, cheesy green beans.


No comments:

Post a Comment